Thursday, January 13, 2011

Butter Box Sewing Instructions

I've posted the sewing instructions for the butter box, but I've moved the entire set of instructions to the page labeled" Tutorials. " From now on that's where you'll find tutorials.  Just click on Tutorials under the Topics heading on the right, and you'll find the complete set of instructions to make a butter box book. 

You will notice that what started out yesterday as a butter box book has morphed into a neufchatel cheese box book.  When I was writing the instructions I realized I needed process shots of some of the steps, so I decided to make another book and use it for the shots I needed and as a model for process sketches. 

So off I went to the store to buy butter (again).  But we currently have six sticks of expensive butter staring at us every time we open the fridge, and we really don't go through butter that fast.   I considered lurking around the dairy case and asking another butter buyer to give me her box (I would give her a nice plastic container in exchange).  But that seemed too pathetic.  So I opted to buy a package of neufchatel cheese, which came in a similar box (not quite as wonderful as the Kate's butter box, but close), and make the book out of that.  So what's neufchatel cheese anyway?  fancy cream cheese?

6 comments:

  1. ooo thanks for the sewing instructions...how nice of you!! Guess what I will be doing tomorrow....yes, I will be the one lurking around the cheese/butter dept. looking for an appropriate box:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short answer: Neufchatal cheese, as made in the US, is sort of like a lower fat version of cream cheese. It's a bit more involved than that, along the same lines as when any sparkling wine as labeled as Champagne. Not really the same thing, but for most people, and most uses, it's close enough to call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and that's a really cool book you made from the box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cheese enlightenment! Actually, we tried it last night and liked it very much. Not a bad box, either! Thanks, all for your encouraging comments. I will update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello gwen, i found your blog all on my own, following your notes! the printer won't print out the butter box book instructions though. maybe bruce can mess with it, and it will do it for him. it's such a wonderful little book, and just hand-sized too. loy

    ReplyDelete