Monday, June 17, 2013

It's fun to have a few people jumping on board!  I like the way everyone has her own take on how this challenge could go.  So day 2:  I realize now that I can't do 20 drawings a day unless that's all I do.  But 5 or 6 is easy and actually a pleasure.  I started out today with a drawing of my breakfast;  then I did the next two in my studio, where I spent most of the day anyway, working on the box (upper right).  I had some milk paint left over from painting the box so I tried it out as a base coat on this page.  The sepia colored square on the left is done with very slimy, transparent milk paint that I had made yesterday and that had gotten sort of cured as it sat in the refrigerator all night.  The more opaque greenish gray is the exact same paint only with some black pigment loaded into it.  Both made excellent base coats.  I also used the transparent stuff to top paint the box drawing.  I took my book on a hike with my friend this afternoon and drew the little red eft that we saw on the trail.  No foxes today, but a red eft is a wonderful thing to see, too.

Drawings 10 and 11 I made at a restaurant tonight-- salt and pepper just as Annie did, and a family in a nearby booth.  The bookmark has been my slogan for this whole journal (which is the one I took to Portugal and France in May):  the slogan is from Alice in Wonderland and says "The world is full of a number of things and we should all be as happy as kings."  I found the bookmark in a trashcan at Asheville BookWorks.

4 comments:

  1. "The world is so full of a number of things,
    I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."
    from A Child's Garden of Verses,
    Robert Louis Stevenson
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Louis_Stevenson

    Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite quotes. I should have no trouble finding 10,000 things to draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, Lisa! I had heard it was from A. in W. so didn't bother to check.

      Delete
  2. I am jumping onboard also. I needed this inspiration right now.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear that you too are a Bookworks Dumpster Diver. I actually miss being a BDD also!

    Your talents are lovely to see, Gwen. I keep a book marker based on a Dinotopia phrase: "Fly high, seek peace". Isn't it neat to have one's own book marker?

    Truly

    ReplyDelete