Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Middle School Hair and a Good Paleo Dessert


Sitting in the back row at Maya's middle school band recital this afternoon I started drawing the hairdos, since that's what I could see best from my perch in the dark.  The bright pink at middle left is actually a knitted hat.  Maya is at upper right, playing her flute in recital for the first time.  She is easy to spot since she has dyed her hair light blue in the front.
More hairdos, and on the right, a recipe if you love apple crisp but don't love consuming all that brown sugar.  I found this recipe in a Paleo magazine and modified it to get rid of half the maple syrup.  I used red delicious apples, which are sweet enough on their own without the cloying sweetness of added sugar, natural or refined.  It's easy to make and tastes so good that even sugar lovers love it;  and if anyone needs more sugar, it's easy to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top.  It has no gluten either, if gluten is a thing you avoid.  Instead of flour it has almond meal.  You can use coconut oil or unsalted butter in the topping, and next time I make it I will cut the maple syrup even more,  from 1/4 cup to 1/8 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment